Thursday, October 7, 2010

Banned Book Week

Wow!  It's been a while since I've posted- I've just been waaay too busy.  Lucky for me, one of the things keeping me busy these days is working in some middle school libraries here in Western Loudoun County.  Yeah, it's only volunteer, but the librarians are so appreciative for the help that they're willing to let me get my hands dirty. 

Here is a display I did at Blue Ridge Middle School for Banned Book Week! 





Honestly, this is one of my favorite weeks in the library world because we're celebrating our fREADom to read what we choose, not just what's available.  For more information on Banned Book Week, visit ALA's website.  It's chocked FULL of statistics, frequently challenged books, resource guides, etc.


I wasn't able to get my hands on a good see-through cage to put the pulled books in, so I DIY-ed some homemade aluminum foil chains.  At least my kids had fun helping... and the lettering was all done on my Cricut (a die-cutting machine).  Every school library should have a Cricut!





If you can't read what's on the iPod, the list is below.  It's the Top Ten Most Challenged Books list for 2010.


1.  ttyl, ttfn, l8r, g8r (series), by Lauren Myracle
Reasons: Drugs, Nudity, Offensive Language, Sexually Explicit, Unsuited to Age Group

2.  “And Tango Makes Three,” by Peter Parnell and Justin Richardson
Reasons: Homosexuality

3.  “The Perks of Being A Wallflower,” by Stephen Chbosky
Reasons: Anti-Family, Drugs, Homosexuality, Offensive Language, Religious Viewpoint, Sexually Explicit, Suicide, Unsuited to Age Group,

4.  “To Kill A Mockingbird,” by Harper Lee
Reasons: Offensive Language, Racism, Unsuited to Age Group

5.  Twilight (series) by Stephenie Meyer
Reasons: Religious Viewpoint, Sexually Explicit, Unsuited to Age Group

6.  “Catcher in the Rye,” by J.D. Salinger
Reasons: Offensive Language, Sexually Explicit, Unsuited to Age Group

7.  “My Sister’s Keeper,” by Jodi Picoult
Reasons: Drugs, Homosexuality, Offensive Language, Religious Viewpoint, Sexism, Sexually Explicit, Suicide, Unsuited to Age Group, Violence

8.  “The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big, Round Things,” by Carolyn Mackler
Reasons: Offensive Language, Sexually Explicit, Unsuited to Age Group

9.  “The Color Purple,” Alice Walker
Reasons: Offensive Language, Sexually Explicit, Unsuited to Age Group

10.  “The Chocolate War,” by Robert Cormier
Reasons: Nudity, Offensive Language, Sexually Explicit, Unsuited to Age Group

No comments:

Post a Comment