Friday, October 7, 2011

World War Z by Max Brooks

I chose to read World War Z for two basic reasons.  1.) Zombie/apocalytic/distopic literature is my favorite.  And 2.) Brad Pitt is filming the movie version as I type.  'Nuf said.

Now that I've read it, I'm wondering how one "stars" in a movie such as this.  Will he be the interviewer?  Basically, World War Z is a series of personal interviews 30(?) years after a zombie plague wipes out a good portion of the world's population.  The lack of a "plot" is forgiven by the stark realism of how foreign nations would react given their different types of governments, religions, and customs.  I especially appreciated the irony that Cuba becomes the new super power with Americans seeking refuge there.

Max Brooks has obviously done his homework (after all, he DID write the zombie survival guide).  And he seems to take a completely objective view offering realistic details about the new emergent world.  One line stands out about how the surviving white collars will have to get dirty since skilled workers like brick masons call the shots.  I couldn't help but wonder if there would be a need for librarians and their talents in the new world.  : )

I give it a small cuppa joe with some International Delights French Vanilla cream- good, but nothing fancy.




No comments:

Post a Comment